Updated August 01, 2022 – BEST Discover Credit Cards Of 2022: Like American Express, Discover is both a credit card network and an issuer. (Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are the only card networks that don’t directly issue cards to the general public. Discover is the newest card network in America and has grown to be the sixth-largest card issuer, based on cards in circulation and outstanding balances. We’ve analyzed the most popular Discover cards and selected the top in each category, including cash-back rewards as well as travel miles, balance transfer, student, restaurants, or secured cards.
The best credit cards for discovering are those that offer generous rewards, 0% APRs, no foreign transaction fee, and offers that can be used by all credit levels. Below are WalletHub’s top picks for Discover cards according to category. This should make it easy to choose the right one. You can contact Discover Credit Card Customer Service.
It’s important to note that although all Discover cards share the same brand name “Discover it”, there are many options among the current crop of Discover credit cards. You might need more than a Discover card at the end.
Discover credit cards are different from those offered on the VISA or Mastercard networks because they are universally accepted. The acceptance of Discover credit cards outside the United States is not nearly as widespread. Even if your plan is to only use the card domestically, it’s worth comparing Discover cards with cards from the other major networks. This will allow you to find the right card for you.
Discover has a variety of credit cards that suit different consumer types.
Discover credit cards don’t have an annual fee. Discover is also well-known for its excellent customer service and overall cardholder experience. Many Discover credit card cards offer identity protection benefits such as Social Security Number monitoring, free replacement of your card in case it is lost or stolen, and waiving the first late payment fee.
Best Discover Credit Cards of August 2022
|Discover it® Student Cash Back||Best for Students|
|Discover it® Secured Credit Card||Best Secured Discover Card|
|Discover it® Cash Back||Best Discover Cash Back Card|
|Discover it® Miles||Best for Travel|
|Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurants||Best for Gas and Food|
1. Discover it® Student Cash Back [Best for Students]
There are many great perks to the Discover it®, Student Cash Back card. Although it may not offer the same rewards and benefits as cards with more established credit scores, the Discover it® Student cash Back card is a great way to build a financial profile that will eventually lead to higher-paying cards.
The Discover it®, Student Cash Back card offers some attractive rewards, with higher earnings in the quarterly rotating categories. The $1,500 quarterly cap is not very appealing. These bonus categories need to be activated. There are also some restrictions, such as the fact that “online shopping” could only mean Amazon as well as Walmart. Any additional spending after the reward category cap expires earns an unlimited 1% cashback.
Discover’s Cash Back Match will match all cash earned at the end of the first year. This means that cash-back rewards can be doubled if leveraged properly.
When shopping for credit cards for students who plan to study abroad, it is important to remember that the Discover it®, Student Cash Back card does not have foreign transaction fees. However, Discover might not be as widely accepted as major card issuers outside the U.S. It is possible to find another card.
Important Keys Of Discover Student Cash Back Credit Card
- Apply without a credit score
- Discover offers an Intro Offer: Unlimited Cashback Match Discover will match any cash back earned during your first year. You could convert $50 cashback to $100. Or turn $100 into $200. There is no minimum spend or maximum reward. Only a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Everyday purchases made at various places such as Amazon.com, gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants will earn you 5% cash back. This is up to the quarterly maximum once you activate. You can also earn unlimited 1% cashback on all purchases, automatically.
- You can earn rewards and build your credit history to help you in the future. Get your Credit Scorecard, which includes your FICO®, Credit Score, and other important information that will help you build your score.
- There is no annual fee. There is no late fee for the first late payment. Late payments do not incur an APR increase
- Refer-a-Friend: After becoming a Discover it®, Student cardmember you will be able to earn a statement credit for each friend you refer. Refer a friend and over half a million students received Discover Cards.
- You can turn on/off the Freeze It®, which prevents you from making new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers within seconds.
- Receive an alert when we find your Social Security Number on any one of the thousands of Dark Web sites. * Get activated for free
- Nearly 99% of all credit card shops accept Discover.
- Purchases for 6 months qualify for a 0% intro APR. After that, the standard variable purchase rate of 13.24% to 22.24% applies.
- Click “Apply Now”, to view rewards, FICO®, Credit Score terms, Cashback match(TM) details, and other information.
|Get 5% Cashback on all rotating bonus categories|
First-year Cashback match
Rotating spending categories like groceries and restaurants offer high rewards
Potential for a substantial bonus in the first year of cash back matches
Purchases 0% Introductory APR for 6 Months
Reward you for good grades
|Rotating-category rate requires quarterly registration|
Balance transfers are not eligible for a 0% APR
Discover Student Cash Back Credit Card Reward Program
Earning Rewards: All purchases earn the unlimited 1% cash back reward from Discover it®, Student Cash Back card. Cardholders need to activate the category in order to earn 5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories that are limited to $1,500 each quarter.
The Discover Cashback Match doubles any rewards earned at the beginning of the year automatically. It is therefore a good idea to max out every quarter’s rewards during your first year of card ownership.
Redeem Rewards: Reward points earned by the Discover it®, Student Cash Back card can be used in any amount as a statement credit or deposits and they do not expire. Any remaining reward balances will be credited to your account after the account has been closed or 18 months without any use.
Additional Benefits of Discover Student Cash Back Credit Card
- Select from a variety of card designs.
- Text Alerts Get notifications when your account is updated.
- FICO Scores for Cardholders: Cardholders can get FICO scores free of charge with Discover.
- Alerts for Social Security Numbers: Upon account registration, Discover will scan dark websites to identify identity theft risks.
- Mobile App – Track your purchase and reward via Discover’s mobile application.
- Freeze it. Use the app to place holds on missing or stolen cards.
2. Discover it® Secured Credit Card [Best Secured Discover Card]
When you have poor credit or no credit history, the Discover it(r Secured Credit card) is your best friend. It is a secured credit card that far surpasses the expectations of credit builders in many ways.
This card is different from most competitors. It tells you when you may be eligible to upgrade to a regular credit card and gives you your deposit back. Discover will examine your account for eligibility to upgrade after seven months. You will also receive rewards, which aren’t available on secured credit cards, and an annual fee of $0. The card requires a $200 security deposit. However, you can get your money back if you open a new credit card or close the account.
Annual fee: $0.
Minimum $200 security deposit This amount will determine your credit limit. Deposits as high as $2,500 can be made.
Discover offers a bonus: Unlimited cashback match Discover will match any cash you earn in the first year. There is no minimum spend or maximum reward. Only a dollar-for-dollar match.
Reward: Get 2% cash back at gas stations or restaurants for purchases up to $1,000 each quarter. All other purchases earn 1%
APR: 10.99% Intro APR for Balance Transfers for 6 months, then the ongoing APR at 23.24% Variable APR.
Foreign transaction fee: None.
Additional Features of Discover it® Secured Credit Card
TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian report payments to help you build credit.
Discover will review your account beginning at seven months to determine if you are eligible for a regular card.
Discover does not charge a late fee for the first late payment.
The Credit Scorecard from the issuer allows you to track your credit score.
You will receive free alerts from your Social Security Number when your information is discovered on the dark Web.
Freeze it is an on-and-off switch that allows you to stop new purchases, cash advances, or balance transfers via the issuer’s app or online portal. This is useful in the event that your card is lost or stolen.
Card details of Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Apply without a credit score
There is no annual fee, you can earn cash back and build credit by responsible usage
Your secured credit card will help you build a credit history with the major credit bureaus. Prepaid and debit cards are generally not able to do this.
A refundable security deposit of $200 is required to establish your credit line. This is a $200 deposit to open a credit line $200. For a 500 credit line, you can deposit $500. You must provide bank information when you submit your deposit. The security deposit equals the credit limit.
Automated reviews start at 7 months. We will assess if you are eligible for an unsecured credit line and return your deposit.
Gas Stations and Restaurants offer 2% cash back on purchases up to $1,000 each quarter. You can also earn unlimited 1% cashback on all other purchases, automatically.
Nearly 99% of all credit card shops accept Discover.
Get U.S.-based customer service and your credit scorecard free with your FICO. Credit Score.
INTRO OFFER – Unlimited Cashback Match, only at Discover Discover will match any cash you earn in the first year. There is no minimum spend or maximum reward. Only a dollar-for-dollar match.
Receive an alert when we find your Social Security Number on any of the thousands of Dark Web sites. Register for free.
Click “APPLY NOW!” to view rewards, FICO Credit Score terms, and Cashback Match details.
|No annual fee|
Reports to the three major credit bureaus
Qualify with limited/bad credit
New cardholder bonus offer
|Requires minimum deposit|
Additional Fees $ Rates
|Intro Purchase APR||N/A|
|Regular Purchase APR||23.24% Variable|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR||10.99% Intro APR for 6 Months|
|Regular Balance Transfer APR||23.24% Variable|
|Cash Advance APR||25.24% Variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||See Terms*|
|Late Fee||See Terms*|
|Penalty APR||See Terms*|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3% intro balance transfer fee, up to 5% fee on future balance transfers (see terms)*|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Return Payment Fee||Visit Discover Credit Card Official Website and Read Terms and Conditions*|
3. Discover it® Cash Back [Best Discover Cash Back Card]
The Discover It® Cashback offers a high cashback rate in rotating quarterly categories. However, you won’t automatically get these rewards. You must activate the program and spend caps apply.
This $0-per-year card is worth the effort for those who want cash back and aren’t afraid to put in some work. For people with 700+ credit scores, the Discover it®, Cash Back card is a great credit card. It has a $0 annual fee and offers a high cashback rewards rate. Discover it®, Cash Back gives you a maximum of 5% cashback on purchases made in bonus categories. Discover will also match any rewards earned in the first year. The 5% bonus categories are subject to change each quarter and activation is required.
You get more than just cash back with the card. Additional Discover it®, Cash Back benefits include a 0% intro rate on new purchases and balance transfer (followed up by a standard regular interest rate which lasts longer than the market average). There are no foreign transaction fees or late fees if you miss a due date.
We’ll help you make a decision about whether you apply for Discover it®, Cash Back card.
Review Highlights of Discover It® Cash Back
You must activate the quarterly bonus categories of 5%
You get 5% back when you spend $1,500 in designated categories every quarter with the Discover it®, Cash Back credit card. This 5% rate can help you earn up to $300 each year. It’s not easy to do.
Each quarter, you must sign up to receive the new bonus categories. You can’t guarantee that the items you spend the most money on will be eligible. You will also earn 1% cash back on purchases that do not qualify.
0% Intro APR for 15 months
The average 0% intro rate for new purchases lasts approximately 12 months and balance transfers about 13 months, respectively, according to WalletHub’s most recent report. Credit Card Landscape Report. Regular APR for the Discover it Cash Back card is 12.24% – 23.24% Variable.
A great feature is a first-year-rewards match
Your first-year earnings will be doubled with the Discover it®, Cash Back. This is a fantastic deal and well worth the extra. $525 Our calculations show that this applies to the average person. It’s not a unique offer, as all Discover rewards cards have this promotion.
Discover it®, Cash Back has a $22 per-year lower annual fee than average credit cards. This is important if you don’t intend to use your card every single day. If you do plan to use your card every day, it may make sense to pay a fee for higher rewards. You will save about 1.44% on international purchases with Discover it®, Cash Back, as opposed to an average credit card offer.
It’s also worth noting that Discover it®, Cash Back is just one of many Get Discover It Credit Cards right now. This is not the only cash-back reward offer. There are many options. You can find additional information below to help you make a decision.
Minimum credit score for Discover it Cash Back
700 is the minimum credit score required to be approved for Discover it Cash Back. In other words, applicants need to have a minimum of 700 credit points.
Get cash back with Discover It Cards
The Discover it Cash Back Card has a There is a $0 annual fee, and a foreign transaction fee of 0%. You don’t have to pay a late fee for the first payment. But that doesn’t mean Discover It Cash Back is free. There is a 3% fee for the initial balance transfer, and a maximum of 5% on any future balance transfers (see terms*). Additionally, there is a $40 max late fee and a $10 cash advance fee. The fee can be either $10 or 5% depending on how much each cash advance is.
The Discover It Cash Back grace period
The grace period for Discover it Cash Back is a minimum of 23 days. It runs from the date of the account’s billing to the due date. Cardholders who pay their full amount by the due date are exempt from interest charges.
Not commissioned, endorsed, or provided by any issuer. Ratings and opinions are entirely ours.
Review of Discover It® Cash Back Summary
Discover It® Cashback is an everyday credit card that’s suitable for those with good credit or excellent credit and who wish to receive bonus rewards without having to pay an annual fee. The Discover it Cashback card offers up to 5% cash back on purchases and doubles the rewards cardholders’ earnings in the first year.
However, the downside is that you will need to sign up each quarter for new bonus reward categories in order to earn the card’s 5% rate. You can only earn 5% per quarter. Purchases not eligible for the 5% rate will earn 1% cashback.
For financing, there are intro rates of 0% for 15 months on new purchases as well as balance transfers. However, Discover it Cash Back charges a balance transfer fee as well as a variable APR of 12.24% to 23.24% Variable.
|Get 5% Cash Back on Qualifying Rotating Spending Categories throughout the Year|
Discover will match any cash you earn at the end of your first year.
No minimum cashback redemption
|Spend less than $1,500 to get 5% cashback|
All bonus categories must be activated at least quarterly
Everything else: Low 1% base rate
4. Discover it® Miles [Best for Travel]
As the sole travel card offered by the issuer, the Discover it®, Miles credit card is unique. It works in a similar way to its cashback siblings. Instead of using your miles for travel bookings, you can use them to redeem statement credits that cover a variety of travel purchases.
The Discover it Miles card is a great low-cost option if you are looking for travel rewards. But what makes it stand out from other cards? It’s a 1:1 value for all redemption options including cash back. This rewards program is a great option for those who are not sure about their future travel plans and need a backup plan to get their rewards.
- Unlimited Bonus: Discover offers an unlimited match for all Miles earned during your first year. You get 70,000 Miles if you earn 35,000 Miles. You don’t have to sign up, spend minimum or receive maximum rewards. Only a Miles for Miles match.
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar you spend – without an annual fee
- You can redeem miles to pay any portion of your monthly bill including the minimum payment.
- You can convert your Miles into cash at any time and in any amount. Redeem as a statement credit to pay for travel expenses such as airfare, hotels, and rideshares. Miles can be redeemed in any way you like, but they will always have the same value. Miles are never lost.
- There are no blackout dates. You can use your Discover it®, Miles card to pay for all travel purchases, including hotels, flights, rental cars, and more.
- Nearly 99% of all credit card shops accept Discover.
- You can instantly freeze your account with an on/off switch on the website or mobile app. This will prevent you from making new purchases, cash advances, or balance transfers.
- Get your Credit Scorecard free of charge with your FICO®, Credit Score, Number of Recent Inquiries and More.
- Receive an alert when we find your Social Security Number on any one of the thousands of Dark Web sites. * Get activated for free
- Click “Apply Now”, to view rewards, FICO®, Credit Score terms, Discover Match®, details & other information.
|Miles earned in the first year will be matched at the end. This replaces a welcome bonus.|
You can redeem miles for cash or travel at the same rate.
No foreign transaction fee
There is no annual fee
|There are no bonus categories for spending|
Offers no travel benefits or transfer partners
Mediocre introductory APR offer on balance transfers
5. Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurants
Discover it Chrome Card offers easy, but very valuable, cash back rewards at gas stations, restaurants, and other places. It has no annual fees and doubles the rewards for card members who sign up within their first year. The card also offers a 0% APR introductory offer for new purchases and balance transfers, making it an affordable financing option.
- Best Rewards at Restaurants and Gas Stations: The Discover it Chrome Card can maximize your rewards if you spend a lot at restaurants and gas stations. Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants for purchases up to $1,000 each quarter. All other purchases will earn you a standard 1% cashback
- Cashback: Discover will match any cashback earned in the first 12 months of being a card member. The card offers a generous 4% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases, and a generous 2% for all other purchases. You could earn an additional $80 cash back if you spend the maximum amount on gas or eating out that is eligible for rewards in your first year.
- APR: This card is great if you are looking to make a large purchase or transfer a lot of money. The 0% introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers will be applied to your account by June 10, 2022. This is a typical length for offers like this, especially for cards that don’t charge an annual fee. These fees are common, but some cards waive them in introductory deals. Your APR will increase from 11.99% to 22.99% depending on how creditworthy you are after the introductory offer ends.
- No Penalty Rate: This is a unique card that doesn’t rise to a penalty rate. The APR (usually the highest rate on the card) does not increase after you have been in arrears for payments for at least 60 days.
|Gas stations and restaurants offer above-the-average rewards|
For the first year, a valuable cash back match offer
New purchases and balance transfers: 0% APR for 14 Months
APR without penalty
|Each quarter, cash back rewards are limited|
Benefits beyond the rewards are limited